Fire Prevention Tips
- Replace any electrical cord that has cracked insulation or a broken connector.
- Do not pinch electrical cords under or behind furniture.
- Do not run electrical extension cords under chair mats or across doorways where they can be stepped on or chaffed.
- Leave space for air to circulate around heaters and other heat-producing equipment such as copiers and computer terminals.
- Turn off or unplug all appliances, including coffee makers and hot plates at the end of each workday.
- Keep exits, storage areas and stairways free from waste paper, empty boxes, dirty rags and other fire hazards.
- Know the locations of fire extinguishers in the building and your work area.
- Remove trash on a regular basis.
- Close all doors after working hours.
- Discard all flammable liquids.
- Observe the building’s “No Smoking” policies. Never throw matches or cigarette butts into waste containers or in the mulch (inside or outside of building).